Friday, September 21, 2012

Laundry & Music

Today is Friday, ladies and germs! Which means it's my day off. On today's agenda: laundry!

Because I am a colossal dork, I inevitably make up goofy little songs as I go about my day. The first one this morning arose as I was unpacking my new fluff from Geffen Baby and tossing it in the washer:

Time to wash my fluff
Time to wash my fluff!
I love my fluff oh yes I do
It's time to wash my fluff

(Tune: Row, Row, Row Your Boat)

Once it gets moved to the dryer I'll be putting in the dirty diapers that the Snush has gone through in the last couple of days. Which will mean another song, mostly likely to the "Samsung" song. See, I have a Samsung HE front-loading washer and dryer, both of which play happy little songs when they're done:



This little ditty's possiblities for making up new lyrics is staggering.

Musical proclivities aside, though, I oddly love laundry day. There's just something immensely satisfying about throwing dirty things into a machine and having them come out all clean and fresh.

Of course, when you're talking about dirty cloth diapers, laundry can get a little more involved than your usual loads of clothes and towels. For one thing, cloth diapers should generally be washed with a cloth diaper safe detergent. There's a lot of argument about whether this means a detergent formulated specifically for diapers, or whether you can use a standard detergent as long as it's free of the Big Nasties: dyes, perfumes, bleach, brighteners, softeners, enzymes... You get the idea.

Then there's HE vs. regular washer (generally, you use less detergent with HE) and hard water vs. soft (you may need to use more detergent with hard), plus a ton of debate on how much rinsing to do and whether to use hot or warm or cold water for the pre-rinse and... Seriously.

I'm the first to admit that I'm still a novice at this whole laundry routine thing. I'm currently using bumGenius cloth diaper detergent, with a bit of washing soda to try to make up for our ridiculously hard water. I do a cold pre-rinse, since unfortunately my machine won't let me opt for a different temperature pre-rinse, then the "normal" cycle on Hot/Cold, then an extra rinse, which I assume is also cold. It seems to work pretty well for me.

I've gone back and forth on how much detergent to use, since I have both an HE machine and hard water. For now I'm using the amount recommended on the detergent box, which is one rounded scoop. That plus the washing soda seem to do the trick, but I may have to experiment if I start to get the dreaded diaper stink.

What's your laundry routine? What works for you? Most importantly, do you sing while you wash?

No comments:

Post a Comment