Monday, October 1, 2012

Mama News! Hooray!

No, not news from me, but news headlines of interest to all of us mamas.

First, there was a disaster at a factory in Japan that may affect global output of disposable diapers-- which points out two things: the unpleasantness of some of the chemicals that go into their manufacture, and also just how lovely it is to have a permanent supply of diapers on hand. I love that I will never have to run to the store in the middle of the night for diapers, or worry about this kind of shortage! If I'm out of diapers, I just need to run the laundry. Hooray for cloth!

Second, medical studies in the United Arab Emirates have proven the presence of a cancer-fighting protein in breastmilk. The study also showed that this protein is not found in any artificial milk at all. This means that breastfed babies enjoy a protection up to 400 times stronger against various childhood cancers than formula fed babies! That's pretty amazing, and makes me so grateful that I was able to conquer my own supply challenges and breastfeed the Snush. I would never want to criticize those mothers who absolutely cannot breastfeed-- it's hard enough without us judging them-- but there are those out there who pooh-pooh the idea that breast really is best. This kind of evidence is wonderful. Hooray breastfeeding!

And third, October 8-14 is International Babywearing Week!


If you've never tried babywearing, it is pretty awesome. I definitely prefer it to having him in the stroller when we're out and about, and I sometimes do it at home. I have three different carriers-- the Moby Wrap, the Baby K'tan, and the ERGOBaby, and I love them all.

If you want to help celebrate International Babywearing Week, check to see if there's a celebrating group near you, or check out some ideas on things to do to celebrate! And always, if you practice babywearing, be sure to do it safely.

That's it for me this morning! Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment